Reading Frenzy

Friday, November 10, 2006

Eat, Pray, Love

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Picture yourself. A journalist, living in New York City. Devastated by 9/11, a nasty divorce and a crushing follow-up romance, you get an offer to spend a year away. To spend months learning Italian and savoring the pastas and pizzas in Italy, traveling to India to stay in an asram for meditation and communion with the sacred to refresh the soul, and finally to Indonesia, to balance the two. How fast can I pack?

Elizabeth Gilbert did just that, and the result is a lush, funny, warmhearted memoir of her time with the people and places and magic she experienced. At the beginning of her journey she was in a dark place, deeply depressed, and through the people she met, and the reconnection with her deepest self, she immerges reborn, and refreshed, with a new zest for life and love. Warm, funny, infectious and insightful, this is a memoir/travelog you'll never forget.

This book transformed my daily drive, as I listened to the audio version which the author herself read. I'm going to buy myself a hard copy, and a few extras for holiday gifts. AND, she's coming to my area in December, I can't wait!

5 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I LOVED this book, especially her chapters about Italy. Her metaphors blew me away, and her writing style is gorgeous. When is she coming to New England????

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger ~ nellenelle said...

Geesh, I just bought a new book today, should have looked here first! it sounds interesting...

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Kate said...

She's going to be in Connecticut in December, then early next year she heads out for her paperback book tour which includes New York City and Boston. Here's the link to her website and schedule:

http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/Events.htm

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I lived in Litchfield briefly...isn't that where she's from?
I'll have to catch her Boston event in February - thanks for the head's up!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Right, she did grow up there, on a Christmas Tree Farm. You might even have been neighbors ;o)...Thanks for coming by--if I can make it to her book signing, I'll post back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home