Reading Frenzy

Friday, August 04, 2006

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back by Claire Fontaine and Mia Fontaine


Claire Fontaine escapes with her daughter from an abusive home life with her husband, but not before he manages to sexually abuse Mia. Claire and Mia undergo therapy at the time, but she's warned that when her daughter reaches adolescence, many of the issues will resurface. And they do, Mia turns to drugs and self mutilation, and finally, heavily addicted to cocaine, she runs away from home to escape from the pain. Her mother and stepfather manage to track her down, and send her to a boot camp in the Czech Republic. When that school is closed down, she is sent to another camp in Montana which helps these teens deal with the pain and shame that cause them to try to self-destruct. At the same time, parents also take part in group therapy to help them understand not only their children, but themselves.

The book alternates between Claire and Mia, as they each descend into hell, and finally start their road back to wholeness and health. The book seemed to deal with the past and present honestly, and thoroughly, and it was interesting to me that it showed the different methods that were used to break through, based on the experiences and personalities, strengths and weaknesses that both children and parents possessed. Mia was fortunate to have parents that found the right program for her, as well as for them, and to be able to afford it as well. This avenue might not work for all teens, but Mia was one of the lucky ones. This is a book I'll be thinking about for a long time.

3 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Claire Fontaine said...

Kate - I didn't find an email on your site, so I'll thank you here for your review. I'm glad the book resonated for you. My daughter was/is indeed one of the lucky ones, something I never take for granted. I also want to tell you how much I like your site; your reviews are well-written, your personality comes through and they manage to be concise and still give a very thorough review, no small accomplishment (short is always harder and something I'm struggling with on my own nascent blog - you're a good example to follow!)
Claire Fontaine

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger ~ nellenelle said...

I'm going to be looking for this, it sounds right in line with the stories that usually grab ahold of me and don't let go very easily.

Have you read The Effects of Light?

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Nelle - don't think I've read that one, it doesn't sound familiar. I'll see about getting ahold of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home