Reading Frenzy

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins


The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

A classic mid-1800's mystery about the theft of a famous diamond from a Hindu shrine, which finds its way to England and is given as a birthday gift to Rachel Verrinder on her birthday. The diamond, bad luck for all who come into ownership, disappears that night from Rache's room, and is no where to be found. In the course of the story there is heartbreak, death and murder, suicide and finally, love and romance and the answer to the mystery.

There are different narrators in the story, the old faithful butler Betteredge who loves Robinson Crusoe, Miss Clack the religious zealot who stashes tracts in each room, Mr. Bruff the rather dry attorney, and mysterious Indians weave around the tale.

Interested in reading this? Set aside some time, it's a slow and methodical read which can be a bit frustrating to those of us used to speeding through a book and skimming the less captivating parts. But maybe, just maybe, it'll convince you to go pick up Robinson Crusoe, of which Betteredge says "I have found it my friend in need in all the necessities of this mortal life."

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Emsxiety said...

I actually enjoyed this book. Seriously I did, once I relaxed in to the slower pace, it was a great read.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger ~ nellenelle said...

Ah, the infamous Moonstone.. I think Karen can't wait to read it again ;-)

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger skeet said...

Yep, I did, too, and plan on Robinson Crusoe someday soon. I'm sure I must have read it in some past life, but that's a foggy, murky place where many things have been lost. I don't remember much about it at all, but now Betteredge has stirred my interest. :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home