Reading Frenzy

Friday, June 09, 2006

Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger



Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger

After Ridley Jones rescues a young boy and receives her 15 minutes of fame, this New York journalist receives a note and a picture that throws her whole identity in question. She bears a striking resemblance to the woman in the photo, and the note asks if she could be "my daughter." A second note arrives, along with an old newspaper clipping, reporting the violent murder of the woman in the pic. Ridley is now on a quest, through the streets of New York City and parts of New Jersey, to find the sender and the truth behind the note, and the men in her life either help or hinder her search: Jake, a handsome and mysterious new neighbor, her brother Ace, a junkie living on the streets, her exfiance, Zack who is ever-lurking and overprotective, her father who denies that she was adopted, her mysterious and deceased Uncle Max, and a sleezy attorney.

This is a pretty well crafted suspense tale from a new novelist. My favorite parts were the descriptions of New York and its inhabitants. I liked the main character, she's gritty and not always perfect, the new boyfriend was a bit formulaic, her brother the drug addict is a great character. A good, fast paced leisure read, with interesting twists and turns.

6 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger sassymonkey said...

This is on my request list. I'm glad to hear it get a good review from you. :)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Let me know what you think...it got good reviews but not all readers liked it on Amazon. Although I think one reader just plain doesn't like New Yorkers.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger alessia said...

I loved it!!!
I read it in french, though, on my blog you can see what the covor looks like here, I think it's prettier.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger alessia said...

Yes, the title in french means "Run my pretty". Which doesn't really make much sense with the story. I think "Beautiful lies" was more appropriate.
But your idea of a cover comparison site is a great idea!!
It would have to be on the same model as wikipedia because of the huge efforts to documente thousands of books :)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger ~ nellenelle said...

Sounds interesting... I really need to keep a list...

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger alessia said...

I keep on reading your blog, I really enjoy it because it helps me think of interesting books to read. Although mine is far from being dedicated to litterature, I do put up a quick post on a book from time to time, and if you have time to look at one of my more recent posts; I've added a note on Surface Tension, by Joanna Hines, along with several different versions of the covers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home