Reading Frenzy

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Leisure Reading

I've so lost track of what I've been reading, and trying to remember is just too difficult at my age.

The Necessary Beggar by Susan Palwick. Thumbs up.....kind of reminded me of The Sparrow although not quite on that par. Fantasy book, in a realistic setting in the Reno, Nevada area, in the not too distant future.

Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. Thumbs up.....At this point you know there's usually a twist and I figured it out. I enjoyed the graphics and think it added to the story line.

Mary, Mary by James Patterson......Thumbs up........I'm not a huge Patterson fan, and haven't read him for awhile, but this is a pretty good Alex Cross mystery.

A Coyote's in the House by Elmore Leonard. Thumbs up......yes it's a kid's book but I listened to it in the car and loved the story, and Doogie Houser does a great job reading. A lot of fun.

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Thumbs up......Can this guy turn a phrase or what? Amazing story, quirky characters. Loved it.

My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman. Thumbs up.....Smart, witty, interesting and I loved the college setting and typical politics.

Once Upon a Day by Lisa Tucker. Thumbs up......IMHO Lisa Tucker gets better and better. Two story lines, characters that change and grow, really liked this one and didn't want to quit til I turned the last page.

Cage of Stars by Jacqueline Mitchard. Thumbs up.......this author does family catastrophies and the aftermath well. Makes me glad my life is so uneventful, knock on wood.

We Are All Welcome Here by Elizabeth Berg. Thumbs up......maybe not my favorite Berg, but good. A coming of age story, with a little bit of Elvis. And a reminder of what polio was like--and no, I'm too young to remember.


Well that's as much as I can remember for now. No thumbs down, those I quit after a few pages and wiped from my memory, what little of it there is.

Next on the agenda:

Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Kiss Tomorrow Hello: Notes from the Midlife Underground....by Kim Barnes

Flying in Place by Susan Palwick

Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart
The Rock Orchard by Paula Wall
To Hell with All That by Caitlin Flanagan
The Last of Her Kind by Sigrid Nunez
Halfway House by Katharine Noel

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

That's all folks. Happy Reading!

5 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Denise said...

I've missed your reviews, and you in general! Thumbs up to Picoult and Moore - definitely!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger sassymonkey said...

Everyone is talking about Picoult lately. Moore is waiting for me at the library but I'm holding off a few days so I can get some other books out of the way. I just finished We Are All Welcome Here a few days ago.

Missed you. Where have you been hiding?

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Just been hiding under a rock, sometimes that just fits life and it's better than whining.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Emsxiety said...

hey glad to see you back posting, even if it takes me forever to get over here and discover it. love the reviews!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger ~ nellenelle said...

Nice to see you emerge from that rock... rocks do have a certain attaction to them, eh?

and thanks for the list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home