Reading Frenzy

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Night


Night by Elie Wiesel

What is there to say? Except that everyone should take the time to read, or better yet, listen to this. It should be required reading for every high school student.

"I decided to devote my life to telling the story because I felt that having survived I owe something to the dead. and anyone who does not remember betrays them again. "

"A destruction, an annihilation that only man can provoke, only man can prevent. "

"Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil. "

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. "

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference. "

"I have not lost faith in God. I have moments of anger and protest. Sometimes I've been closer to him for that reason. "

----- Elie Wiesel

Wise words from a man who truly knows about indifference, hate, life and death, and faith.

2 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Denise said...

Did you read it or listen to it?

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I started to read it then the audio book came in for me--so I listened to most of it. I think it is one of those books that is better heard.

Stories of the holocaust go a long way with me, it'll be awhile before I pick up another one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home