Reading Frenzy

Monday, January 30, 2006

Oh what a tangled web

Whew.....cobwebs everywhere, dust bunnies in the bookshelves. It's pretty obvious I've been neglecting this place. And, I've lost track of what I've read--on the plane, in the car and in bed.
Racking my brain a bit.....


A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

I'm wondering if Frey has fallen off the wagon after all the brouhaha and scandal surrounding this book--and I'm wondering what percentage of libraries have reclassified this as fiction after the disclosures of
Smoking Gun. I'll admit that I was taken in, and I'm regretting those tears I shed at the end of the book.

Poor Oprah. First that insufferable Jonathan Franzen who couldn't bear to have his literary book be associated with the popular crowd or her name, and now interviews with an author who apparently never learned the meaning of true and false, fiction and nonfiction. Or then again, maybe he just went by the old adage, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger sassymonkey said...

lol. You know I had been wondering what you had been reading lately.

I was tempted by this book at first but then I heard about the dentist thing and knew I couldn't deal with it.

I don't feel bad about the Franzen thing - at least he was honest about it. He could have gone along with it and made a lot of money.

Has your library reclassified this one?

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Kate said...

No reclassification, but I think all librarians like to joke about it.

I think the dental visit was also greatly exaggerated--wish I'd known that when I was reading it, yuck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home