Reading Frenzy

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Untraveled Territory


"Why this is very midsummer madness." ~ William Shakespeare

"Magic Street" by Orson Scott Card

I hadn't heard the term, "urban fantasy" until just recently, maybe because I read so little fantasy, but I loved "Ender's Game" so I picked this one up. Magic in modern cities, what an interesting concept. Besides, our bookshelves are lined with Terry Brooks, R. A. Salvatore and Robert Jordan as my husband is a major fan, so what the heck, thought maybe I'd be able to engage in a little fantasy over the dinner table. But this is a far cry from Shannara, I think.

Take a black, upper middle class neighborhood in Baldwin Hills, California and a little Midsummer Night's Dream and you have a fascinating mix of coming of age story, dreams and fairies, and the triumph of good over evil. Since I'm not particularly adept at suspending my disbelief, this isn't going to become my new addiction, but it was definitely fun--just wish I'd run through Shakespeare's play before reading it.

2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home