Reading Frenzy

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

On the road again.....


No, not Kerouac, although maybe that would be a great idea, I've never read it. Now that circumstances have changed and I'm driving an hour a day, I've finally succumbed to books on disc and I'm loving it.

Kiss Me Like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art by Gene Wilder

My knowledge of Wilder started with Gilda Radner, so it was wonderful to travel along his life for some insight of what makes up this funny, insightful and genuinely nice man. It was a great view of what it was like to be in the movies and in theatre, and of his struggle with his inner demons, his battles with cancer--both his own and Gilda's--and his takes on his fellow actors--none of it meanspirited.



Loud and Clear by Anna Quindlen

Maybe because I REALLY like Anna Quindlen, this book spoke volumes to me. In this selection from columns from the New York Times and Newsweek, she covers topis from motherhood to 9/11, from Harry Potter to the problems of abuse in the Catholic Church. Her writing is clear and concise, and the only problem in listening to her in the car is you can't stop and write all those excellent lines down. At the end you just wish you could call her up and say "let's have lunch."

3 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I enjoyed the Wilder bio but haven't read Quindlen's book. I will have to add it to the list!

Kyra

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger ~ nellenelle said...

Anna and Gene, now both are worth reading...

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Ahhh, yes, I remember that Anna Quindlen is one of your favorites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home