Reading Frenzy

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

So many books, so little time, a really overused line but......

Books to the ceiling
Books to the sky.
My pile of books
Are a mile high.
How I love them!
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard
By the time I read them.
-Arnold Lobel


As I sit reading the literary tome, "Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella, a quick check of email reveals that the 2005 Man Booker Prize long list nominees were announced. Oh dear.


  • "Saturday" by Ian McEwan
  • "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro
  • "Arthur & George" by Julian Barnes
  • "The Sea" by John Banville
  • "Beyond Black" by Hilary Mantel
  • "A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka
  • "The People's Act of Love" by James Meek
  • "The Accidental" by Ali Smith
  • "The Harmony Silk Factory" by Tash Aw
  • "All for Love" by Dan Jacobson
  • "On Beauty" by Zadie Smith
  • "Shalimar the Clown" by Salman Rushdie
  • "Slow Man" by J. M. Coetzee
  • "In the Fold" by Rachel Cusk
  • "A Long Long Way" by Sebastian Barry
  • "This Thing Of Darkness" by Harry Thompson
  • "This Is the Country" by William Wall

5 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Denise said...

How many on the long list have you read? We have Never Let Me Go on the shelf at the moment and Saturday is on our reserve list and I think that's about it.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger sassymonkey said...

I know I haven't read any of them.. And unless someone reads one and tells me that it's good, I probably won't either.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I haven't read any of these, and I think I'll wait for reviews too, although on second thought (I just had to see what this was about on Amazon) I think I'll check out "Short History of Tractors...."

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous adrienne said...

Hi. Found you through Denise. Don't feel bad about the whole Sophie Kinsella thing. I found myself attempting a Jackie Collins book today. I couldn't do it, though. I haven't read any of the books on the list, but I've read lots of reviews. That's gotta count for something, right?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Absolutely--read someone who said that reviews are all she reads! Actually made it through the kinsella and am now reading Must Like Dogs. I desperately need to be saved! And need to have the courage to turn down those "must reads" people thrust at me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home